Monday, November 12, 2012

Texas, Secession, and My Hubris

Awhile back I made a post about Eurzone integration where I voiced the concern that Europe was probably not a good candidate for fiscal and political unification. I said the disparate cultural attitudes and preferences of the Periphery vs. the Core would prevent peaceful integration, with common policies accepted across regional lines.

And I was probably right. But what I didn't see was this: 

"A petition for Texas to secede from the union, submitted to the White House, reached the number of signatures needed to draw comment from the Obama administration today.
The petition appeared on a section of the White House website called "We the People" that invites users with a U.S. zip code to submit or sign petitions about policy changes they would like to see. A petition must reach 25,000 signatures within 30 days for the administration to comment on it."
You can bet we'll be following this for the duration of its relevance. Or I might lose interest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment